A dynamic and evolving field, public health demands versatility, breadth and superior problem-solving skills. Offered online and on-campus, the USC Master of Public Health (MPH) program ensures you have the tools, resources and connections to thrive as a successful public health leader.
- It starts with our world-renowned faculty who put students first. They love to teach and mentor. They produce groundbreaking research. And they're active members of Southern California's vibrant public health community–helping government, communities and organizations set meaningful policies and deliver services. Meet our faculty »
- Our multi-disciplinary, collaborative approach gives you access to courses in other schools across the university to broaden your skill set, including the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism and the Price School of Public Policy. And we offer on-campus students dual degrees which combine public health with relevant core skills in other disciplines (like medicine, psychology, geographic information and spatial sciences, social work and business entrepreneurship).
- Students have opportunities to augment the classroom experience with cutting-edge research opportunities and hands-on practical work experience in the community.
- It's all centered in the heart of Los Angeles, a diverse global center where you will work with and study a microcosm of the world's varied populations. You will have access to a rich pool of local public health leaders in business, entertainment, government and nonprofits.
Together, these elements will prepare you to be a public health leader with strong competencies to address pressing public health issues, locally, nationally and globally
Experience the USC Advantage
- Unique and innovative programs including the GeoHealth track, offered in the MPH online program in collaboration with USC Dornsife Spatial Sciences Institute; and a dual degree in social entrepreneurship and public health, offered in the MPH on-campus program in collaboration with USC's Marshall School of Business.
- Travel classes: Study in Geneva—as a delegate to the World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization—Panama or Costa Rica.
- Part of the renowned Keck School of Medicine of USC: Get access to some of the world's pioneering faculty and best-equipped health research laboratories, three major teaching hospitals—Keck Hospital of USC, LA County + USC Medical Center and Children's Hospital LA—and strong ties to the LA County Public Health Department and its clinics.
- Global reach and opportunities through internships, programs abroad and the Institute for Global Health
- Research opportunities at one of the nation's top ranked private research universities
Curriculum & Degree Requirements
Start with four required core courses that provide an integrated approach to basic public health knowledge
- Foundations of Public Health
- Practice of Public Health
Concentration areas add specialized coursework in your chosen concentration area.
Concentrations to Choose From
- Community Health Promotion
- Global Health
- Health Services and Policy
- Generalist (available to students with a doctoral degree)
- GeoHealth (online only)
An integral part of the USC MPH program is the practicum, a structured and supervised professional experience with an approved agency for which students receive academic credit and can make a difference in the community.
The practicum offers students hands-on experience in a public health setting, including county, state, federal or community-based agencies.
Through the practicum, you have the opportunity to integrate your coursework into a real-world setting, preparing you for a professional career in public health.
In the Public Health Capstone course, taken during your final semester, you will implement a project that is tailored to your interests and integrates what you have learned during your public health coursework and practicum training.
- Submit application for desired program (links below)
- Official transcripts from each accredited college/university attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0
- Minimum Graduate Record Examination score within five years of your anticipated start date
- Learn more about the programs and apply at the links below:
MPH on-campus program
- education and training to give you the necessary skills and hands-on experience to immediately jump in after graduation and start making a difference;
- career services that provide resources and tools to identify the right career pathways, market yourself and network effectively; and
- connections to passionate faculty mentors, internships in public health settings that often have job opportunities, and an unparalleled alumni professional network.
- Public health practice and program management
- Environmental health sciences
- Community health education, promotion and communication
- Health services policy and administration
- Global health
- Spatial sciences
For on-campus students, we offer six dual degree programs that let you combine public health skills with relevant core skills in other disciplines; a recipe for career success and leadership.
- Master of Public Health & Master of Science in Social Entrepreneurship (MPH/MSSE)
- Master of Social Work & Master of Public Health (MSW/MPH)
- Master of Planning & Master of Public Health (MPL/MPH)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology & Master of Public Health (PhD/MPH)
- Doctor of Pharmacy & Master of Public Health (PharmD/MPH)
- Doctor of Medicine & Master of Public Health (MD/MPH)